Sunday, September 21, 2008

Homemade musical instruments

Mark Deutch's Bazantar

This guy looks like a total pervert that would die to hang out with Steven Seagal for a day, but I must say I'm pretty impressed.



The Kora and Toumani Diabate

The kora may not be such a unique instrument, but the tradition of hand-making them (as shown in the video) I thought warranted its inclusion here. Diabate's virtuosity is a great representation of how much potential the kora has in western art music. While I've heard/seen his "improvisation" a number of times, I find his music very much worth keeping on the radar.



Dennis Havlena's homemade/home-modified instruments


This guy is a legend in creating and modifying instruments. From the propane tank hang drum to his guitar-cum-hurdy gurdy, he has made some really cool stuff.

No comments: